Friday 5 April 2013

The Oatmeal Secret

After yesterday's stomach fail, I decided to switch up my usual 2/3 -- today, I went non-raw for breakfast, and plan to go raw for lunch and dinner!

KathEats (food blogger) has an ode to oatmeal on her page.. check it out
I did wake up rather late, so I didn't eat breakfast until about 10am, so the raw portions might turn into "early dinner" and "evening snack," but nonetheless!  I decided to go non-raw for breakfast because I had a huge craving for oatmeal.  I have an obsession with oatmeal.  I should probably write it a love song.  Maybe I'll commission my friend Lottie to get on that one, since I'm musically (and creatively)-challenged.  Not sure how many of you have made oatmeal the correct way (ie, on the stove top, not in the microwave, and with non-instant oats), but it's so worth it.  This English porridge crap?  No thanks.
Brie's Perfect Oatmeal
  • 40g (or 1/2 cup) rolled, or jumbo, oats
  • 1 or 2 egg whites (if you use the liquid carton kind, probably 1/4 cup)
  • dash milk
  • enough water to cover about an inch above the oats
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • dash cinnamon
Bring to low boil.  Keep an eye on it, because oats burn to the bottom of the pan notoriously quick.  Stir vigorously for about 30 seconds once it comes to the boil, then let it rest for about 30 seconds... repeat until desired consistency.  The egg whites are incredible because they 1) add a lot of protein and 2) make your oats insanely fluffy.  Plus, the taste is great.  You'll notice that the above recipe doesn't have any sweetener in it.  That's the way I prefer it, because I tend to add a lot of toppings, most of which are sweet (brown sugar, banana, honey, etc).  If you want to add a sweet ingredient into the cooking process, go ahead; it won't disrupt anything.  A fun twist is cutting super thin slices of banana into the cooking oats before you "whip" or stir them, causing the bananas to emulsify and thicken your oatmeal, as well as add yummy sweetness. 
I hope you can tell that I'm an oatmeal connoisseur.

No comments:

Post a Comment